About Car Sharing
Car sharing is a model of car rental where people rent cars for short periods of time, often by the hour. There are three car-sharing companies available for employees to utilize – Getaround, Zipcar, and Enterprise Car Share – and all three employ similar technology.
Benefits of Car Sharing:
- Various locations throughout the Bay Area, including over 50 vehicles to choose from within 0.6 miles of 375 Beale Street.
- Provides low-emission, fuel-efficient vehicles.
How does it work?
- Join – Visit Getaround, Zipcar, or Enterprise Car Share to join. Once approved, you’ll receive your membership card or key fob in the mail. You will need the card/fob to access vehicles.
- Reserve - Log in and select the vehicle you want and how long you need it. Reservations can be made online or on a smartphone.
- Unlock and Go - Hold your membership card (or key fob) over the windshield sensor to unlock the vehicle. The keys will be waiting for you inside.
- Return - Return the vehicle at the end of your reservation. Hold your membership card over the reader one last time. The doors will lock and your rental will end.
For general information: Getaround.
- Create a personal Getaround account. After your trip has been completed, please fill out a Travel Reimbursement/Expense Form and submit to your supervisor or manager with receipt for reimbursement.
For general information: Zipcar.
- Create a personal Zipcar account. After your trip has been completed, please fill out a Travel Reimbursement/Expense Form and submit to your supervisor or manager with receipt for reimbursement.